Saturday, October 18, 2008

Session 5: Demos A & B + Educational Gaming Part I

I shall not beat around the bush, afterall, I've accumulated a backlog of 7 reflections.. oh dear! Fear not, I do have a good episodic memory to count on =)

Demo A: IRONCAD
Frankly, I found the tool a little too technical and complex for my liking. At one glance, I'm somewhat intimidated by the number of icons/toggles embedded in the program, gosh! I wonder if the students may have similar feelings.
In addition, I do agree that the use of IRONCAD seems to be more targetted towards the teaching of D&T, which may appear rather irrelevant for the rest of us.
Hmm.. let's see if I may apply it to other teaching subjects: geometry/3D prob-solving, viso-spatial art development...
Well, I'm sure the purpose of such demos groups is to expose us teachers to the various tools available, thereby using them whenever we deem appropiate. For now, at least I am made aware of the existence IRONCAD which given the opportunity, I could possibly introduce it to my school, colleagues, students or even for future personal exploits. =)

Demo B: Bubbl.us
A concept-mapping tool which appears to be quite cool, user-friendly & simple to use. Yes, I believe that simplicity is a major criteria in employing ICT for both teachers and students alike. However, I can't help but recall how I used to like using paper & colour-pencils in drawing out fanciful mindmaps in my revision. Somehow, it was the physical drawing I believe that enforces my understanding & perhaps, keeps me 'entertained'. Now I wonder if "electronic mindmaps" will have the same effect on me. In any case, I am glad for the availability of such tools as it surely provides an avenue for independent & collaborative learning. Teachers may also employ it as scaffolds or overview in their teaching.

Educational Gaming
Everybody love playing games, at least most of the people I know. As a matter of fact, I just completed stage 4 level 8 of my Diner Dash4! (right, this is a teeny weeny out of point, but hey! good things are meant to be shared.. go play diner dash!!!! I'm gotten expert score for every level!) Kids today are better gamers than any of us, almost pre-wired I would say. So, what's a better way to gain their interest other than what's already in their interest?
The question is, how are we to ensure that whatever they are playing is relevant, beneficial, transferrable to their educational objectives? Hmm.. very tricky.
As a student, I seriously do not care much about the learning outcomes behind the "educational games" I was put through. In fact, I don't ever recall what I've learnt after I shut down, other than the marvellous score that put me in the table of top scorers or the sense of satisfaction that, "hey! I've passed the level!"

I guess at the end of the day, educational gaming is about gaining interest in a particular subject, as well as to inject an element of 'fun' in their learning. Possibly, it can be used as a form assessment in which students may actually look forward to it! However, I don't think students can actually derive new learning concepts from gaming alone, at least not yet.

No comments: